7/11/09

Chimwemwe (Happiness) Ladies




Chimwemwe (happiness) is very evident when the ladies are singing. When we came for the first time last May 2008 there were about 30 women. Now there are about 60 women that meet once a week for Bible study and singing. They also work on purses made from plastic garbage bags, jewelry made from magazines, or old calendars and knitting baby clothes. The crafts they learn to make hep them earn money for their family.



When I attended the first meeting after we arrived I was struck by the joy of the Lord heard and seen through the ladies singing and dancing. It reminds me of Psalm 100:1 "Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands." These ladies make a joyful noise. They "shout joyfully to the Lord of thier salvation" as Psalm 95:2 says. I thought about the ladies bible studies in the U.S. They are encouraging and edifying but so "reserved and quiet!" When I left the meeting I was overflowing with joy myself!

3 comments:

Lucie Manette said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lucie Manette said...

Good to see you blogging again!!!

Anonymous said...

Sarah - you are going to have to pronounce "Chimwemwe" - I am sure it is a "happy" sounding word. Love to all, Neva